I’m a total noob so I hope it’s ok to ask very basic questions… I really want to make a go at this. Hate working for others.
1. China or not for merchandise?
2. If China or overseas supplier, air or ocean shipping?
3. Register a business name or not in the beginning?
4. What accounting/bookeeping software do you recommend?
5.Any way to sell clothing on Amazon as individual vs pro seller account?
6. How can I change my ID name on Amazon to look more professional or should I open a separate account?
These are just some questions off the top of my head for now… thanks in advancing for replying and helping.
1). Depends what you are selling. Yes for private label. Absolutely not for branded items because they will all be fake.
2). Depends again. Air is more than ocean but if it’s a small quantity, air may be ok for you
3). People will say different things on this. I say register from the get go so you are off on the right foot. Any business that grows will ultimately want to be registered and there are certain protections it offers you. So I say yes.
4). Quickbooks online or a CPA. If not a CPA, at least have one on hand who can help you when needed.
5). Clothing is a gated category on Amazon. You need to apply to sell it even if you have a pro account.
6). Do not open a second account without approval from Amazon. Not doing so can get yourself suspended on both accounts. Secondary accounts are approved only with good reason. Search the Amazon help pages for the process. On your single account, your legal name and display name can be different. Many sellers do this.
Branded is just that. If it says a branded name, looks like a knock off of a similar well known product etc. Stick to sourcing from China for two reasons only. One if you are sourcing generic items for your own private label. Two for branded items but ONLY if you are buying from the manufacturer directly in very large quantities that they are allowing you to source directly from their factory in China.
2) Depends. I’ve seen people start with 25-50 units.
3) I don’t know what else you have to have in place. I would just register now so you dont have to go back and update things later.
4) Yes, you’ll want a CPA to bounce things off of
5) You can apply, but yes, you will need to supply Amazon with the necessary information.
6) It’s in the settings of your Amazon account. Set up your account under your legal name, and then there is a setting to change your storefront (display) name. That is the one you want to change.
Please login first to submit.